Tuesday, September 12, 2006

How it is to Love

I used to be completely cruel and heartless,
Using frens, then tossing them aside.
I used to feel an angry, bitter hunger,
Not knowing why, nor looking much inside.

I used to think the goal in life is self pleasure,
My own, of course, whatever that might take.
A woman's feelings had to be her problem.
Self-sacrifice was always a mistake.

And so with just the slightest twinge of conscience,
I hunted for my lonely ecstacy,
And even when i wanted a companion,
The only one i cared about was me.

We make our worlds, like God, in our own image.
Mine was a metropolis of stone,
In which all souls were either fools or cynics,
Doomed to take their pleasure on their own.

And then i fell in love with you, and somehow,
Your happiness meant more to me than mine.
The desert became green and lush with flowers,
Like the sun my heart began to shine.
Like a wind i swept across the ocean,
Like a star i exploded into the night,
Like a song i held love in my hands,
And like an angel i knew that this was right.

All that i had thought was proven wrong,
With all the lies to justify my greed.
To love was to embrace the pith of Life,
To feel a joy far stronger than a need.

And if i could so love, i could be loved.
So someone might want me and believe love.
To let another know me without shame,
To give myself and know that i could.

All this i tell you that i might be known,
That all of me will no longer be alone,
And if you do not love the one that i am,
So be it... I may weep, but understand....

No comments: